Early in my career I worked with doctors who were usually in the middle stages of their career, but at the start of 2011 I decided to use my experience to start a second project focusing on financial coaching to residents. My goal was to prevent the financial problems I was seeing in my work with older doctors from happening to younger doctors.
While you are in training I am available as a resource to you and there is no cost for my assistance, nor is there any obligation to keep working with me after you finish training. I have helped hundreds of residents from OHSU and I am happy to assist you as well. If you want to learn more about the points below, or you have questions about other financial topics, feel free to email me at Justin.Berry@NorthStarFinancial.com.
If you have a long-term partner, they are encouraged to attend our meeting as well.
Topics that can be covered during the financial education process:
- How to avoid student loan mistakes (IBR, PAYE, REPAYE, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Refinancing)
- Renting vs buying decisions
- How to avoid being over-insured, under-insured, or over-paying for insurance
- Evaluation of long-term disability insurance and term life insurance options (if needed)
- How to develop a healthy relationship with money
- The basics of investing
- Various types of retirement accounts and their pros/cons
- Suggestions for avoiding other common financial mistakes
To schedule your initial conversation, please email me at Justin.Berry@NorthStarFinancial.com
Also, in February of 2019 I was selected to be the advisor in charge of the OHSU Guaranteed Standard Issue (GSI) Disability Insurance Program. This beneficial new option for OHSU residents and fellows provides the opportunity to purchase a portable, specialty specific disability insurance policy without going through a full risk screening and medical record review. The policy also uses significantly discounted gender-neutral pricing. If you are an OHSU resident or fellow and want to learn more about this option, you can find additional information here and here.